Status Hat Productions

Search...

Share/Save/Bookmark

oh i bisectLISTEN TO OH I BISECT:

"Crazy Horse" 

OH I BISECT: 

oh i bisect is Michael Shepherd. Michael is a University of Virginia student who, when he's not puzzling over philosophical problems, shuts himself in his room every day to make his own brand of electronic music. The songs build slowly and often evolve into an entirely new creature over the course of a few minutes, improbably meeting at the confluence of Shepherd's influences in shoegaze, progressive rock, and 8-bit techno. This is music meant to be enjoyed as it was written - alone, with a pair of good headphones, and a cup of coffee or tea.

The songwriting and production is done through Logic, and the lo-fi guitar sound is achieved with a C-Tech PR9006 headphone amplifier that plugs straight into the guitar. Heavy waves of reverb and ambience stitch the guitars seamlessly together with MIDI sounds, while distinct drums push the songs along when things kick it up a notch. The sounds of “Expanse” are characteristic of the steady change of feel that many of Shepherd’s songs employ. What starts out as a lullaby gradually expands into canyon-like echoes, which finally disappear over quiet finger-picked electric guitar and distant reverberating feedback.

Current and past projects include Ethereal Affair, Tandems, and solo work with long-time friend and producer Brandon May. Michael has played guitar with church bands, jazz piano in high school band, and singer-songwriter fare in coffee shops. oh i bisect is Shepherd’s first musical project since moving to Charlottesville, and this appearance in Status Hat is a public debut for Shepherd's solo work. Keep an eye out for new music this summer – a lot is in the works.

Oh, and oh i bisect is an anagram for bioethics, which is a discipline that is very important to Shepherd. Bioethics is the study of ethical issues related to human life and other biological matters. Though words or samples rarely appear in oh i bisect songs, the songs are nonetheless inspired by the structures of argument and debate that the human person evokes.

FINED OH I BISECT AT THESE SITES:
http://soundcloud.com/mshep
http://soundcloud.com/bmay/loveletterfinalimprovments

Oh I Bisect is featured in the Travel issue of Status Hat (August, 2011).

Trigger - A Status Hat Publication - First Edition

ROTATING MUSIC GALLERY

Click

Status Hat on Facebook...Status Hat on Twitter

LISTEN TO THE...

Status Hat Featured Music!

Listen to random & rotating playlists from Status Hat's featured music collection with the *pop-out player* above, and learn more about our featured music and musicians here:  FEATURED MUSIC GALLERY

CALL FOR WORKS!

Find more ART, WRITING & MUSIC in STATUS HAT'S ARCHIVES:

JOIN OUR MAILING LIST...

Help Support Status Hat's
Literary/Arts Publications,
Works in Development and
Teaching Arts Programs.

Status Hat!

STATUS HAT PRODUCTIONS IS AN ARTS COLLABORATIVE.

WE DEVELOP NEW WORKS IN A VARIETY OF MEDIA, AND PUBLISH A MONTHLY ARTSZINE FEATURING ART, MUSIC, WRITING & MORE.

WE BELIEVE THE ART EXPERIENCE IS A PRIMAL AND BENEFICIAL HUMAN DRIVE.  TO CREATE, AND TO SHARE WITH ONE ANOTHER THROUGH THE CREATIVE ACT, IS VITAL FOR INDIVIDUALS AND COMMUNITIES TO FLOURISH.

YOU CAN FIND OUT MORE ABOUT US HERE.

CONTACT US AT INFO@STATUSHAT.ORG